Welcome to the wonderful world of crochet! If you're a beginner looking for an easy yet rewarding project, you're in the right place. Today, we'll guide you through the process of creating a unique accessory for your little one - a crochet pacifier holder. This simple project is perfect for those who are new to crochet, and it's a fantastic opportunity to learn and practice basic stitches.
Crochet might seem challenging, but don't worry. With a bit of patience and practice, you'll be creating beautiful items in no time. If you're based in Utrecht, consider joining the local crochet club that meets once a month. It's a great place to learn and meet like-minded crochet enthusiasts. If you're interested in more structured learning, there's a regular crochet program of five classes available.
Before we start, make sure you have all the necessary materials ready:
- A 2.5 to 3mm hook. This size is great for beginners as it's comfortable to hold and works well with various types of yarn.
- Yarn. The type of yarn you choose can greatly affect the texture and appearance of your project. For this tutorial, we're using Scheepjes Catona yarn (50g), but feel free to choose any yarn that works well with your hook size.
- A ruler. This will be used for measuring your yarn and ensuring your stitches are even.
- A pair of scissors. You'll need these to cut your yarn.
- A clip for pacifier holder. This will be used to attach your pacifier holder to your baby's clothes.
Your Crochet Pacifier Holder
This project doesn’t require a gauge as we'll be measuring our work as we go along. It consists of three lines of one row, the sides of which are then sewn together and attached to the clip.
Here's a step-by-step guide you can follow, and you can also download the full PDF pattern.
Making the String (repeat 3 times):
- Start by making a chain that's 20cm long. The number of stitches will vary depending on the type of yarn you're using.
- Then, make a half double crochet (hdc) in each chain. Once you've reached the end of the row, fasten off and leave a small tail before cutting. Remember not to cut the yarn on the third string.
Making the Braid:
- Braid the three pieces together meticulously. This will form the main body of your pacifier holder.
- With the last string, keep crocheting on the top part of each string (the sides of hdc), making two single crochets (sc) in each hdc. Then make 10 chains, and sc in the first stitch of the row. Ch1, Fasten off and cut.
Next, we'll attach all three parts together and then attach them to the clip. To do this, attach the yarn on the opposite side of the braid.
- Row 1: Make 2sc in each side of hdc. Ch1, Turn. (6)
- Row 2 : Slip stitch (sl) in the first stitch, Sl into the clip, Sl into the 2 next stitches, Sl into the clip, Sl into the 2 next stitches, Sl into the clip one last time and make a final sl in the next stitch. Ch1, Fasten off and cut.
Once everything is attached, weave in the ends. If you want to block the shape, you can spray a bit of water on it and let it dry flat, pressed between a book and a table.
Congratulations! Your handmade pacifier holder is ready to be used. This project not only allows you to practice your crochet skills but also results in a practical and beautiful accessory for your little one. Happy crocheting!